Belonging to the Formicicae family and the insect order known as Hymenoptera, ants are closely related to bees and wasps. Ants come in all sizes, colors, and Arizona is home to more species (318) than any other state in the United States. There are more than 12,000 species worldwide.
Ants are truly an adaptive species, and because of this they can be a difficult pest to control.
Ants are capable of building their nests almost anywhere. This makes for an especially frustrating pest, because they can easily nest in a small foundation crack, wall void, cardboard box, attic, or in the soil under your house. They are most recognized for their ability to unite as a colony and remain organized, having a distinct division of labor and collectively working as a unit to accomplish one goal.
Ant infestations can be difficult to handle because the majority of the time, you are dealing with a large number of pests. Many homeowners have found that the easiest to get rid of ants is to attempt poisoning members of the colony in hopes that they will spread the toxins to other colony members. This is usually accomplished by setting up various ant traps around the home in areas that see high amounts of ant traffic. These traps can often also be used for outdoor colonies. Although this can be an effective way to get rid of ants, it does not destroy the entire colony and if the trap runs out of ant poison, and the colony will usually return fairly quickly. Knowing which species you are dealing with is important to selecting the proper ant poison. Some ant species only feed on sugar based baits while others will only feed on protein based products. While most ants can be killed with direct applications of pesticides, controlling the entire colony with pesticides alone is difficult at best. If homeowners truly want to get rid of ants, they should call the experts at Bills Pest & Termite.
Our service technicians will locate the colony, identify the species and use the proper products to eliminate the entire colony instead of individual members. It is important to properly identify the type of ants in order to use the right products.
Do-It-Yourself Tips for Getting Rid of Ants
- Place a few pieces of clove to ward off ants from entering your home.
- Avoid spilling or leaving behind sweet and fragrant substances on the kitchen countertops and floor.
- Place sticky traps along the edges of walls and in the corners to stop ants from advancing.
- Sprinkle powdered insecticides over ant mounds to kill and scatter the ants.
- Keep pet food sealed and in elevated areas
- Ensure entry points to your home are sealed.
- If your home comes down with a serious ant problem, call 602.308.4509
Achieve Ant Control in Your Home
- Fire ants can bite and produce painful, red bumps.
- Ants can contaminate food sources with the waste they leave behind.
- Ants will dig smooth tunnels in the wood found inside homes.
- Ants can establish colonies in wall voids or attics
Don’t Know Where to Turn for Ant Control? Call Bills Pest Service!
- We guarantee an ant solution in a timely fashion once notified of the problem.
- We can eliminate ants humanely and safely, without endangering the safety of your family and pets
With Bills Pest Service, Ant Control is Easy!
Ants are one of the most common household pests in Metro Phoenix. Without proper prevention and protection, ant populations will increase rapidly. Ants make their nests in many different places inside a home, including under roofs, in doors, and even in foam insulation. Ants do this by chewing wood and carving out tunnels. Over time, this can cause significant damage to the home. The longer an ant colony problem goes untreated, the more damage can occur. In addition to any structural damage, ants are also attracted to many foods commonly found in kitchens and pantries. Ants may often make a meal of all types of sweets or foods with proteins, including honey, syrup, and meats. As such, ant control is a necessity!
Bills Pest Service is the solution to ant infestations. For more information call our Pest Division @ 602.308.4509